This competition is open to full-time (12 credit hours per semester) South Dakota college, university or technical school students. South Dakota high school students may also apply. If you are applying for an existing business that is located in South Dakota, you may have been in operation for no more than three years, as of the application deadline date. Also, if an existing business, annual sales revenues may not exceed $500,000.
Applicants may only apply with the same idea twice.
APPLICATION CHECK LIST
- Prepare business plan totaling no more than 10 pages. Limited attachments such as financials or supporting documents may be included in addition to the 10 pages.
- Complete online application form and confidentiality agreement.
- Business plan and financial documents must be uploaded in Word, Excel or as pdf files.
- Submit plan by midnight on the application deadline date.
- If you are selected as a qualifying entry for the competition in Sioux Falls, you will be required to submit your social security number or a federal tax ID number before receiving any potential prize money. We are required to report prize money awards to the Internal Revenue Service.
There are several organizations in the state that assist with business plan development. You are encouraged to make contact.
To apply, you must prepare a business plan totaling no more than 10 pages. You are encouraged to utilize the financial template which may be downloaded here. Limited attachments (2-3 pages) that support your application may be included in addition to the 10 page maximum application.
Financial Template (Excel download) - You are required to submit at least basic financial projections for your company, utilizing this financial template.
For assistance with the financial template, you may contact one of the SD Small Business Development Centers or the Enterprise Institute. Contact information for all offices is available on the Help page.
Applications must be submitted by midnight on the application deadline date.
Complete the online application form and confidentiality agreement. When you have reviewed the submission checklist (PDF Download), attach your documents to the application. Once you have submitted your application, you will receive confirmation of receipt.
NOTE: The business name on your plan must match the business name on your application form!
If you have any trouble submitting your information, please contact:
Mary Anne Boyd, VP Program Services
SD Chamber of Commerce & Industry
PO Box 190
Pierre, SD 57501