To enter the Governor's Giant Vision Student Competition, applicants must submit a written business plan outlining their idea. A panel of judges made up of startup company experts and established business leaders will review all applications and select the qualifying entries that will participate in the competition held in conjunction with the Governor's Office of Economic Development (GOED) in Sioux Falls.
All qualifiers will be expected to give presentations and discuss their ideas with business leaders, finance experts and others invited to attend the event.
The winner will be awarded $5,000. Second place award of $4,000, third place receiving $3,000, fourth place receiving $2,000 and fifth place receiving $1,000. The remaining qualifiers will receive $500 each to help with the expense of participation.
The Governor's Giant Vision Student Business Awards Competition
(Sponsored by Governor Dennis Daugaard and Citibank N.A., Sioux Falls and South Dakota EPSCoR, Brookings.)
- Online entries must be finalized and submitted no later than midnight (CST) on the deadline date.
- Independent panel of judges will review applications and select up to 12 qualifying entrants for competition.
- Qualifying entrants will receive an invitation to compete mid-March. Non-qualifiers will also be notified of their status.
- On the day of the event, all qualifiers will be provided with table space. Skirted tables will be provided for your prototype, poster display or other materials. Note: Displays are a secondary component and qualifiers should focus on knowing their business plan as a priority of preparation.
- Judges will briefly view the displays at the beginning of the day. Each qualifier will then make a fifteen-minute presentation (including Q & A) to the judging panel in room away from the display area. When presentations are complete, the judges will meet privately to discuss the selection of finalists.
- Qualifiers will be required to prepare, in advance, a 100 word statement explaining their idea. This will used for promotional purposes and for your "Elevator Pitch". This requires you to sum up your business plan and concisely explain why someone would be interested. Elevator Pitches will be recorded the day of competition.
- Entrants will have the opportunity to visit with established business leaders during the luncheon which will feature a presentation by a successful start up business owner.
Finalists will be required to remain setup throughout the day and winners will be announced during the evening banquet.
- Application deadline: Friday, March 3, 2017
- Notification of all qualifiers and non-qualifiers: April 1, 2017
- GOED Conference: April 25 & 26, 2017
- Giant Vision Competition: Wednesday, April 26, 2017